Gamer Girl
Is it just me or is anyone else sick and tired of the lame 'gamer girl' merchandise out there for supposed video gaming girls?? I'm a woman and I've been playing video games since atari and commodore 64 and so forth. It just really peeves me to see all the 'pretty' attempts at making girls feel like they're welcome into the folds of the gaming universe. I say come out with some quirky, funny, or thought provoking piece of merchandising or phrases..... All I've seen are t-shirts that have bright pink letters sprayed across them saying "Gamer Girl" or some t-shirts that flaunt the sexuality of the gamer such as saying, "I do it...blah blah blah..."
Yes, I suppose this blog is just me venting, but come on people... I mean I know it's been a constant battle with us video gamers trying to show others that video games aren't the cause of real-life violence (I've actually done 3 studies showing this albeit they were small and done in a college setting) but it really does bug me that the 'women hosts' they use on most gaming shows on television are just there for their looks and don't know the first thing about games.
OK OK, I guess there really wasn't a pivotal point in this posting, but I had to get it off my mind. And yes, if I could get a job making merchandise for female gamers, I would jump at the chance. Fact is, I'm a recent college graduate with a degree in Psychology trying to get a job that pays over minimum wage. Thanks for putting up with the rant folks!
Yes, I suppose this blog is just me venting, but come on people... I mean I know it's been a constant battle with us video gamers trying to show others that video games aren't the cause of real-life violence (I've actually done 3 studies showing this albeit they were small and done in a college setting) but it really does bug me that the 'women hosts' they use on most gaming shows on television are just there for their looks and don't know the first thing about games.
OK OK, I guess there really wasn't a pivotal point in this posting, but I had to get it off my mind. And yes, if I could get a job making merchandise for female gamers, I would jump at the chance. Fact is, I'm a recent college graduate with a degree in Psychology trying to get a job that pays over minimum wage. Thanks for putting up with the rant folks!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home